Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Animal Wrongs

One thing about Japan that never ceases to amaze me is the fact that it, quite frankly, never ceases to amaze me. What has most recently piqued my interest is the way animals are (mis)treated here on a daily basis. Now I completely aware that this happens all over the world, but just for the sake of posterity allow me to list but a few of the oddities I have witnessed over the past week alone:

- A dog chained up to an abandoned shack in the middle of an abandoned parking lot, with a full bowl of food next to him. I guess it's good that he had food, but I feel his own 50 sq.ft. lot is a bit excessive, not to mention cruel.

- A woman walking a cat. On a leash. A big, leather leash that may have weighed more than the cat itself. With a spiked collar. Seriously.

- A full size fish tank full of not water and fish, but dirt and no less than 10 species of beetle. This one would only be a little strange if it wasn't for the fact that I found it in the housewares section of the hardware store.

Though it really has nothing to do with people and how they take care of their animals, I also feel like I should note that the other day I saw a cat wait patiently at a crosswalk then cross right in front of me when his light turned green. He may have even winked at me, though I cannot swear to this.



The cake'll end up crazy

No comments: