Monday, June 30, 2008

A Candidate You Can Really Get Behind

Living in Japan during election season in America is an interesting thing. To be fair, due to some sort of cosmic coincidence, throughout my time as a legal I have only ever been in Japan during presidential elections so I don't actually know how much different it is in America. I can only hope that it isn't as downright silly as it is here. As the only American the town of Sannohe has EVER hosted, I am treated as some sort of walking political encyclopedia (which in and of itself is a problem, because I had to check Wikipedia just to figure out what the difference between a Caucus and a Primary so that I wasn't lying to everyone I talked to). Among the questions I am most commonly asked are the following:

"Why is this election starting so early, don't they usually start in November?"
"Why is Mrs.Clinton so angry?"
"Will the Iraq War stop once the election is over?"
"Are you going to vote for Obama or Bush?" (my personal favorite)

As a personal rule, I tend to keep my politics to myself. It really is no one's business who I vote for. In fact, I have been known to mess with people who ask me about it by actively taking the completely opposite stance to however they feel, because I feel that's what they get for prying. The Japanese, however, don't seem to understand that there is a degree of personal privacy to all this. Also, they don't really find the whole "I'm going to be an ass and argue with you for fun" shtick very amusing.

Recently, when asked who I will vote for, I have been sending people (both Japanese and otherwise) to this website: http://www.mercerforpresident2008.com/home.html
Finally, a candidate I can honestly endorse! His website alone has provided me with countless more hours of entertainment and brain work than anything any other candidate thus far has put forth. I must, though, give credit for this wonderful discovery to my friend Golden Wade Powell. Thank you, Wade, thank you. And to all of you out there, Northern Tohoku Exposure recommends that you take the time to fully peruse Mr. Mercer's website. In particular, sections 1, 14, 17, 20, 22, 27, 29, 35, 46, 48, 49, 56, 63, 66, and 69 are full of golden nuggets of inspiration. Enjoy!

No comments: