Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Comparative Analysis

So as you may have noticed the postings here at NTE have dropped off considerably. Due to circumstances beyond my control (and plenty that were within) I have had neither the time nor the ability to post recently. For that I apologize.

After a two week jaunt home to good old Pacific Northwest, I find myself strangely rejuvinated. While dodging the unbearable humidity here I was also able to consume my own weight in REAL beer, eat REAL Mexican food, then eat at Taco Bell, and many other gloriously nostalgic events that I will not waste time here cataloging. As an interesting after effect of this trip, I find myself much more aware of the differences between my two countries of residence and realize that up until now I have been a bit harsh on Japan in my blogging. Well that's all going to change. For one post, at least.

A fairly common question I get asked (aside from size of both body and...other things) is, "Sir, what do you enjoy about Japan?" While there are many, one item stands tall among the rest: Festivals. The US may do a rockin' 4th of July, but when it comes to the actual art of holding a festival, we come up severely lacking. It's hard to say what part of the Japanese condition leads to the innate ability to throw a great festival, but whatever it is they have it in spades. If I had to wager a guess, I would say spirit. I'm not talking God, morals, or any of that mumbojumbo, but rather the spirit of getting into the festival. In Japan festivals are for everyone and occur at every level of society. I recently had the chance to participate in the Nebuta festival. Fellow Portlanders, let me tell you that this thing puts the Rose Festival to shame. There are few things more entertaining that watching a 4 year old girl, a 6'5" white man, and a 75 year old Japanese man standing side by side, jumping and flailing to the beat. It's almost like a mindset; people don't come to watch the festival, they come to celebrate the festival. The best part is, this is true from the biggest regional festivals down to the smallest local ones. Everyone has a role that they play with the utmost duty and enthusiasm.

So Japan, I salute you for a tradition well maintained. In my limited travels I have encountered no place more embracing of what it truly means to celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music, oh yeah. I will say, though, that your festivals would be a whole lot more kickin' if you would import some damn PBR.

1 comment:

Rob Tunstall said...

Do they ask how big your mind is?